Sunday, November 2, 2008

Free Markets and Moral Character


Over at the John Templeton Foundation, they have a deep conversation going on over the Big Question, "Does the free market corrode moral character?"

You can read the essays of famous intellectuals, politicians and celebrities, as well as leave comments of your own.

I didn't make the cut for the starting lineup, so here's what I said in the comments section:

"Perhaps the best way to answer this question is to ask another: does an un-free market improve moral character? Or, to phrase it differently, can coercion improve moral character? I think the answer is found in history. Rare is the man who can exercise such power over others without eventually being corrupted by it. As C.S. Lewis said: Aristotle was right; some men are fit to be only slaves; but I oppose slavery because I do not believe any man is fit to be a master."

No comments: