Monday, December 10, 2007

Big Business (Heart) Big Government

From Reason, the disturbing comments of Congressman John Campbell (R, CA), a "pork-busting Randian":

“Of the first 50 meetings I had after I was elected,” he tells me, “47 were with businesses asking me for money. I was just stunned. Gee, I didn’t know I was just an ATM machine for taxpayer’s money.”

During the floor debate over the defense appropriations bill, Campbell honed in on a $2 million earmark for Sherwin-Williams, a paint company that is developing a “paint shield” for military vehicles. In the process, he locked horns with the fearsome chair­man of the Defense Appropriations Committee, Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.). To everyone’s surprise, Campbell cleaned the 33-year congressman’s clock.

After Murtha rambled about how the military probably wanted the paint shield earmark even though it wasn’t on its “priority list,” Campbell pounced. “Mr. Chairman,” he said, “you said you’re ‘sure’ the military [wants it]. So you’re not aware if, in fact, the military has asked for this kind of technology?”

Campbell kept his eyes trained on the Democrat. Murtha didn’t have anything to say.

“I guess the answer to that is no,” Campbell said.

Of course, the House isn’t a debat­ing club. The earmark survived any­way.

1 comment:

Stephen R. Maloney said...

Good piece and good for Rep. Campbell in his smackdown against Murtha.

I hope you'll join Bloggers 4 Russell, people committed to the defeat of Murtha and the election of Lt. Col. Russell. Please let your visitors know where they can find Russell's web site -- http://russellforcongress.com. I write about five times a week on the race at: http://stevemaloneygop.blogspot.com.

steve